Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Winter Cleaning, Part 5

The Great Winter Cleaning Orgy continues... I'm hoping that once I deal with all these boxes and the things in them, I actually won't ever have to deal with this level of cleaning/organization again. If you get all your stuff organized and keep it that way, it isn't as bad anymore, right? Right?! I mean, it should make daily life easier (and more efficient and thrifty) and it will make moving much easier. And when I die (many years from now, I hope) it will make things easier for everyone who has to go through my possessions. So, ease all around.

ANYWAY.

Over the weekend, much was accomplished:
  • Did a recycle run to get cardboard, paper, and plastics out of the garage and apartment.
  • Added cardboard bedding to the vermicompost, put all compost from container in the apartment into bins in the garage.
  • Went through old papers and memorabilia, organized it, recycled a lot of things I didn't need. I actually was able to consolidate enough to get rid of two boxes.
  • Went through the Little Bug's school papers, eliminated a lot of the ones that don't need to be kept, and then organized the "keepers" in a single location.
  • Sorted through magazines, took out and filed any articles or pictures I want to keep, and put the magazines in a stack in the garage, ready to be given away to anyone who wants them. Or maybe I'll give them to the library for their used book store.
  • Got a new space heater, because the old one mysteriously quit working on Thursday night.
  • Got some new plastic bins, the better to store and organize things.
To do for this week:
  • Deal with some insurance issues.
  • Organize and file papers currently being centralized on the table.
  • Remove more recycling.
  • Go through some boxes of clothing, glean.
  • Take stuff to Goodwill.
  • Give away some items to people who can use them.
  • Clean fridge.
  • Plan menus for upcoming week and a half.
  • Plan the Little Bug's birthday celebrations.
  • Bake cookies and rolls.
  • Take the Little Bug to get his feet measured.
  • Have the Little Bug's hair cut.
So far, no interest in the book I put on Craigslist. I don't care about getting money for it, really, but unfortunately, I don't even know anyone to whom I could give it away for free.

2 comments:

Kiti said...

Yay, I gave away two big collectible Harley Davidson calendars to someone who will enjoy them.

Baby steps.

Catherine said...

I am being forced to declutter at the moment because my kitchen is being demolished but I'm looking forward to doind a big posession edit before filling the new cupboards. But I can't bring myself to do anything with my books, they are staying put!