Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mini Mission

Posted by Willow:

At the instigation of Colleen at 365lessthings.com, I gave myself a mini mission for this week and I want to share it with you.

Is your jewelry box overflowing with necklaces and earrings?  Are you like I am, and when you are dressing in the early morning, hurrying to rush out the door, you rummage around in the messy jewelry case looking for the match to the earring you have in your hand and plan to wear because it perfectly matches your outfit of the day?  Maybe we have too much jewelry.

I decided to declutter my jewelry and get rid of the old necklaces and earrings I no longer wear.  Unfortunately, I'm somewhat sentimentally attached to some of the pieces.  This weekend, I hit on  a plan that I think will work to deal with the unwanted, unneeded jewelry.  I pulled a gallon plastic baggie from the kitchen drawer and strategically positioned within easy reach of the jewelry drawer in the bedroom to hold any jewelry I know I don't wish to keep.  I separated the items I know I've worn in the past week--a few sets of earrings and one necklace--and now whenever I choose a different ring, earring or necklace to wear, I place it with the "yes, I've worn it and love it" items.  At the end of a specific period of time (maybe a month?), I'll know with certainty what jewelry I actually wear and what I don't.  I've done this experiment with my clothing and as you can guess, it was an excellent, unbiased exercise in discovering what I really like and wear.  I have a feeling that I will be dropping quite a few pieces into that gallon baggie which will then be placed in the bags reserved for the thrift shop.

Join me in decluttering your jewelry box!

2 comments:

Kiti said...

In my opinion, it's okay to keep jewelry that you don't wear regularly, as long as you love it and have sentimental attachment to it. Some jewelry is special occasion jewelry that you wouldn't wear often at all.

Willow said...

Yes that's true. I didn't include my special sentimental jewelry in the bunch.