Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Little Decluttering

Most days, I look around my little home and think, "Yikes, it's cluttered again! How did that happen?" Clutter has a way of creeping up on me. I don't notice the piles of mail and paper, and then all of a sudden, those piles are spread out on the table or counter.

The same kind of creeping happens in bathrooms, except that the process is much slower. I buy back up toothpaste, shampoo and soap and those items need to be stored somewhere. I do not like cluttered and crowded cupboards, so I work at striking a happy medium between storing supplies I purchase on sale and keeping the shelves uncluttered.

This week I am focusing my attention on the guest bathroom. I decluttered some outdated items and reorganized what is left. I suppose that a true minimalist would not have done what I did: I found three small baskets on a sale at a craft store, bought them (50% off!), and replaced two large, old, tattered cardboard boxes that I have used for years to hold Bactine, bandaids and other first aid supplies. Because I had decluttered those shelves, all the useful bath items now fit in the baskets. The bathroom cupboard looks neater and cleaner. And color coordinated. I like the look of a minimal, uncluttered, green and white bathroom.

Join me in decluttering the bathrooms in your home, and then tell me what you've done so we can celebrate simplicity together!

1 comment:

Young Mogul said...

I actually saw an organized linen closet on a blog that used the baskets and labeled each one. I have since been looking for affordable baskets. Baskets are so expensive, though.

I also declutter, but find I still see things that look out of place. My main challenge is keeping up with laundry. I absolutely hate doing it!