Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Minimalist Fashion Project 333

I quietly joined Minimalist Fashion Project 333 on October 1st.  When I first read about the project on Courtney's blog BeMoreWithLess, I thought, "Hey, I could do that. No sweat.  I don't have that many clothes, anyway."  Then I walked back to my closet and took an honest look.  I certainly had more than thirty-three items hanging there.  So I began to glean and declutter the clothes I obviously would never wear again and dropped them in to a big black trash bag to take to the thrift store.

Here are the original rules for Project 333:
•When: October 1 – December 31 (It’s never too late to start so join in anytime!)

•What: 33 items including clothing, accessories, jewelry, outerwear and shoes.

•What not: these items are not counted as part of the 33 items – wedding ring, underwear, sleep, in-home lounge wear, and workout clothing (you can only wear your workout clothing to workout)

•How: over the next two months, outline your 33 items, by the 1st of October, box up the remainder of your fashion statement, seal it with tape and put it out of site.

•What else: consider that you are creating a wardrobe that you can live, work and play in for three months. If you purchase items for project 333, stick with the one in, two out approach. Consider the essentials and stick to 33.

Now it is October 5th.
I'm posting my list:

  1. black dress slacks
  2. black capris
  3. grey jeans
  4. tan jeans
  5. navy fleece jacket
  6. long sleeved black knit top
  7. long-sleeved white knit top
  8. navy skirt
  9. navy short-sleeved knit top
10. teal cashmere sweater
11. purple cashmere sweater
12. turquoise cardigan
13. print blouse
14. black camisole
15. white camisole
16.-22. various colored t shirts
23. black shoes
24. black flipflops
25. sterling silver earrings
26. watch
27.-28. two necklaces
29. gloves
30. lavender 3/4 sleeve sweater
31.
32.
33.

These last three slots I am reserving for scarves and a sweater that I've nearly finished knitting.  Or maybe another pair of earrings (I do love my earrings).

Five days in to this and I'm thinking that because I made my final list last week and started the project when the weather was presenting us with triple digit temperatures I may have over estimated the t shirts and under estimated the sweaters.  This week we are having rain, clouds, fog, and temperatures in the 60s. We shall see.

And now I'm wondering if anyone besides my husband will notice that I am only wearing 33 items for 3 months!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Just finding you here, Willow... how is that I missed this extra blog of yours?! LOL... Glad I have now. :o) Your list is great! I'll be posting mine at Pink Purl on Monday. I'm late posting about it, but did start more or less on time. I was amazed how good it felt to finally purge my closets of unused things, and get down to essentials with the help of this project. I think living with the 33 item will be easier than I first imagined, and will be able to keep it up after the New Year. Happy Days ((HUG))

Willow said...

Thanks, Tracy! This little blog is actually one I share with my daughters. I'm so glad you found me!

HipMama said...

I love your list! I also admire you for being able to pair down your jewelry. All of my jewelry has either come from my husband or is my grandmother's and is too dear to my heart to give up for 3 months. Aside from my wedding ring, I have my motherhood and engagement ring from my husband's grandmother, my cadallah promise ring, my grandmother's pearls that I wore in my wedding, and 2 necklaces and 2 pairs of earrings received on my honeymoon.I also kept a bracelet that I use to remind myself which side my son has nursed from last. I chose not to count these in my 33 items, but I commend you for being able to stick to just the basics!

In Christ,
Anne Marie