Friday, September 25, 2009

Simplify, simplify

I think that a primary (and useful) facet of having a "simple life" is orchestrating one's day-to-day operations in such a manner that it becomes easier to just get stuff done in an effective way. As a single parent who works full-time, my available hours are at a premium, and no matter how much I do, my task list always grows, never diminishes. Add to that the fact that it really is difficult to accomplish just about anything with children underfoot, and my accomplishments at home have dropped precipitously since I became a mama. It finally occurred to me that I could do stuff on my lunch break at work! It will make things so much easier.

Things I can do at work:
  • Pay bills online
  • Take a walk outside (I may make it a goal to do this a few times per week until the snow comes)
  • Update blogs
Things I can do with a quick car ride from and back to work:
  • Go to the bank
  • Go to the post office
  • Go to the insurance agent
  • Go to the grocery store (buying non-perishables and leaving them in the trunk or back seat of the car till I go home later in the day)
Sometimes, obvious solutions are simply staring us in the face.

3 comments:

Willow said...

Good ideas! Lunch hours are great errand breaks if you're not working through your lunch time.
I try to do my errands on the way home from work so I don't have to go out a second time.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I've just started doing some of these same time-savers, especially the ones where I make a list and do my errands, as I'm leaving work.
Great list, I'm adding a few of yours to mine ;)

Young Mogul said...

I don't know how I will manage when I have kids.